Monday, March 30, 2009

Hot Mic


Reading a million design blogs and websites and magazines, you start to see a lot of the same things, same trends, same ideas. Your eyes glaze over, and you start to get a bit jaded, a bit bored, and often totally over it. If I see another "hip" "new" antler-themed design, I'm going to stab someone with said antler. Seriously. The only worse offense in my eyes is the unending praise for the ghost chair. Sadly, the ghost chair is an ineffective weapon.

So when I followed link on someone's google chat status to Blue Microphones, I was totally blown away. These microphones are the kind of "designed thing" that design is all about. They make you think about how certain objects have just evolved into their current common form, and we don't really think much about them anymore. We forget that they can be cool or interesting looking or more than just functional tools. We forget that they can actually rock!

Blue mics are the coolest thing I've seen in a while, and while I have no need for a microphone (I do just fine with the nearest hairbrush/beer bottle/spatula/remote control), if I were a burgeoning rock star, these would be top on my wish list. Specifically, check out the Bluebird, the Woodpecker, and the Cactus. From the quick reviews I can find, these mics apparently sound great too. Now if they only made one that could make me sing like Barbara Streisand, we'd be in business.

No comments: