Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ready For the Closeup


My friend, a biology teacher, and self-proclaimed biology geek, sent me this picture of bugs at a tea party. While it looks like something out of a Pixar movie, it's actually a collage of colorized electron micrographs (click here for all of the crazy detail). She knows I love a good electron micrograph. The picture was a winner in the National Science Foundation's International Science & Engineering Visualization Challenge. Some are colorized electron micrographs, some are actual photos, some are illustrations. Science or art? You be the judge. All of the entries are amazing, but this is my favorite.

I really do love electron micrographs. They have the coolest textures, and it's crazy how different ordinary things look if you get close enough. Although it's just straight up photography, the work of Karl Blossfeldt reminds me of electron micrographs, and I think that's why I like it so much. This guy's snowflake photos are in the same vein, and are really beautiful. They're like little mugshots of the culprits that caused all that ruckus yesterday.

No comments: