Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Striking 'Scapes

I love photography of all kinds, especially pictures of natural things that you can hardly believe are real and unaltered pictures. These are the winners of the Take A View Landscape Photographer of the Year competition in England. It is the "brainchild" of Charlie Waite, a landscape photographer. I think my favorite is "Autumn sunrise at Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland, England" by Adam Burton (I would post the pictures here if not for the site's warning about copyright infringement.)

I found this competition through one of my favorite blogs, Diamond Geezer. The "Diamond Geezer" is a Londoner, who frequently posts about things to see and life around London, and who cracks me up. Occasionally he'll post a random poem or rant about some aspect of everyday life. He's pretty nutty and hysterical in a desert-dry British way, and anyone going to London should definitely check him out for some real deal information about uncommon stops to make on their trip. He's way more interesting and truthful than even the most honest guidebook, and much funnier. I wish I knew what he looked like, but I don't think there are any pictures of him on his site.

I'd love to comment on a few other pictures in this competition, but they lead me to talk about other topics, and I'll just keep going on forever if I don't stop at some point, so I'll save them for tomorrow and perhaps Friday. My 8th grade English teacher is rolling over in her grave at my gratuitous and unabashed use of run-on sentences.

No comments: