Monday, October 13, 2008

Only In New York

The recent 40th anniversary edition of New York Magazine, and an October 6th interview on Gothamist both have me thinking about memorable New York experiences. Everyone has at least one story of some crazy thing they either witnessed or took part in that just make you say, "Only in New York." For some it's one defining moment, for others it's a conglomerate of little everyday occurrences. I would have to say that my two favorite "Only in New York" moments, both of which happened not to me but to my husband, would be:

1. The time he was walking through midtown, and two tourists asked him how far of a walk it was to the Statue of Liberty. Clearly they had never noticed that she lives on her own private island, nor had they brought their swimmies.

2. The time he walked by two men out on a stoop arguing with each other over which one of them was "more homeless" than the other. We're not really sure whether they each thought they personally were more homeless, or the other was, but no one really wins in that argument anyway.

I have a few others, but I'll save them for another time when I can't think of anything to write. I'll just leave you with a picture I took this morning of a rice cake I saw just sitting on the seat of a parked motorcycle. Who knows.

No comments: